Question
Posted by: concerned mom | 2003/01/10

Bedwetting/weak bladder young child

I have a daughter who has just turned 5. Even though we try to limit her fluid intake after 6pm and take her to the the toilet last thing at night before we go to bed, she stillcannot make through to the morning without wetting the bed. She is a heavy sleeper and does not wake up when she needs to go to the toilet. During the day she goes to the toilet a lot but obviously since she is awake there are no problems. She has been wearing pull up nappies at night but is starting to not want to wear them . I want to sort out the problem before it becomes and issue but short of settingthe alarm for 3am in the morning and putiing her on the toilet myself , I do not know what to do.

Concerned mom, I wrote something on bedwetting a while ago and if you mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za, I’ll pass it on. If you have more questions, please let me know (as a new question, otherwise I will miss it).

2
Posted by: Lizzy | 2003/01/10

Had same problem, and setting the alarm didn't even help. My daughter used to wet the bed, sometimes moe than once, a night. Got this tip from a friend, and after trying anti-depressants and the shrink, it was the only thing that worked.
You work on an award system. Start of by drawing one face on a poster, without a mouth. After she has gone through one night without wetting the bed, you can draw in the smiling mouth,and she can get her reward. Then do a poster with two faces. She must now get two consecutive nights without wetting the bed. If she gets one, and then the next night wets the bed, redo the two nights poster, and let her try again. You can then, after each completed set, ad another night, and so forth. I stopped at two weeks without a wet bed.
The reward must be decided on before you start, I used R10,00 as a guideline, and she could choose ANYTHING for aprox. that value. Be prepared for strange requests. I once had to watch her eat a whole tin of Nesquick, with a teaspoon, dry!
If you don't have a cover for her mattress, use black refuse bags, covered with a large towel, to protect the mattress. Then she'll feel that you trust her, without the nappy.
From time to time, she still had accidents, but never a real problem after that.
Good luck.

Reply to Lizzy
Posted by: gina | 2003/01/10

Hi! I can't help you but I can possibly ease your concern by letting you know that I have the same problem with my 6yr old daughter. She has been to a Urologist who prescribed anti-depressants. I have not given them to her in the hope that she will slowly improve. I am not keen on anti-depressants. I also don't want it to become an issue so I don't make a fuss over it. When she starts to tell me that she no longer wants to wear the pull-ups I will have to consider the possibility of medication. Good Luck!

Reply to gina