Question
Posted by: Nanc | 2007/02/27

Bedtime snack for pre-schooler

My husband's ex-wife is demanding (threatening to take him to court) that we give their son a bedtime snack - milk & cookies or berry crunch cereal w/ milk & juice to drink. He has never asked us for a snack yet she says he is upset & has bad dreams if he doesn't get a bedtime snack. I need to say she feeds him dinner, alone in his bedroom, on a snack table in front of the tv. She does not cook and feeds him fast food meals or frozen kid's cuisine. She eats alone in her bedroom. In our home he eats a home cooked meal in the kitchen as a family unit - we talk about his day - no tv. After dinner he is offered dessert. Then we go upstairs & he showers, brushes his teeth, & gets ready for bed. He is allowed water should he request something to drink (she states we have him in prison since we won't give him juice). I don't know any parents who give their child a bedtime snack. Thoughts???

Dear Nanc
My thoughts are that the ex-wife is using the poor child and her strange demands about his eating patterns to get at you and make your life a misery. If you do go to court, get a dietitian as one of your witnesses and she will confirm that your home cooked meal with dessert eaten in the company of his family, plus water if he should get thirsty at night is by far the more balanced nutritional and psychological option. Tell her that eating milk and cookies at bedtime could cause weight gain and also tooth decay. Check if she makes him brush his teeth after these snacks, if not, you can point out that she is harming him and the health of his teeth.
Hope you get this unpleasant problem solved

2
Posted by: second wife too | 2007/02/28

Hi Nanc

You should loose the words "their son" he is yours too now that you have married his father. You need to embrace him as yours because he is an extension of his father. Your hubby should protect you and make it clear to his ex that you are respecting the rules she applies in her house she must do the same for you. The rules in your house should be repected and you might compromise (to keep the peace) to give him a glass of fat free milk. But the ex must know that you have a right to decide what goes in your domain. Good Luck!!!

Reply to second wife too
Posted by: Mom | 2007/02/27

I give my son 2 digestive bisciuts and a glass of fat free milk. This helps keep his sugar levels stable during the night. I was given this advice from a registered dietician. Each child is different though. I hope this helps.

Reply to Mom