Question
Posted by: Hannah | 2007/05/17

Bed sores

I am attending to a bedridden patient with no idea what I am supposed to do, she does have bedsores but she will not let me roll her over, she lays in the same position day and night. I have been putting on bedsore plasters as best I can. This morning I have been reading about "decubitus contamination" and am worried for her health at this stage. What will eventually happen if this patient has lost hope and given up, she cannot use a bed pan so this article I read scares me. She is unable to get a nurse as she has not worked for 2 years and cannot afford one. What should I do as this is a no win situation and I am at a total loss.

Dear Hannah
Please contact your nearest hospice or municipal clinic - they sometimes have sisters that do home visits, and will be able to teach you how to manage her. If she does not want to roll over, just roll her slightly to the side and put a pillow in at her back to take the pressure of the areas for a while - they need to shift position 4 hourly. If she can't use a bedpan she needs to wear nappies and have it changed regularly...

1
Posted by: k | 2007/05/19

It's important to keep pressure off areas that are most easily affected....like heels, elbows, rear end...etc. If you can roll her as the Doc said every four hours...start on her left side, after 4 hrs, put her on her back, after 4, put her on her right. Keep pressure off the current sores as much as you can. The decubitis can worsen rapidly. You should be able to find over the counter cream containing zinc (most likely) for bedsores. Good luck and get yourself some assistance on this.

Reply to k