Posted by: Speedy | 2008/08/28

Beagle has a runny nose

I have a 10 week old beagle. When i purchased him he had a runny nose and a gastric infection. I have taken him to the vet twice they gave him an injection for the gastric infection and they have put him on antibiotics for his runny nose. The coarse of antibiotics is almost finished but it has not cleared his nose. What else can I do? HE also eats excessively, how can I slow down his eating pattern?

Dear Speedy

Go back to the vet. Distemper for one can cause a runny nose. Has he been vaccinated?

Posted by: Viparo | 2008/09/05

" The advice you'  ve already been given about obesity etc is perfectly valid for all dogs - but it'  s not really relevant to a young puppy yet." 

Yes, it is valid for all breeds, but even more so for beagles, because of their builds. (And he/she does have a beagle)
Just search on beagle back problems and you will see what I mean. Training them from a young age is very important.

Also, if he has had his allocated amount, as I stated, why should he have more? At what stage do you decide that he' s old enough now, and should only eat allocated amounts? And as for increasing his amount of food weekly, well, I would imagine everyone knows that.

When mentioning " eco snuff"  I clearly stated that she should consult her vet first. So I have no idea what your last paragraph was meant for.

As I' ve said, I own 2 beagles, and a beagle x. That' s why I offered advice because I know the breed very well out of my own experience.

Perhaps you should do what your name suggests: CHILL

Reply to Viparo
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/28

We' re talking about a 10-week-old puppy here - puppies should NOT have their food intake curtailed - he should be on 3 or 4 meals a day, and your other dog should be kept out of the way while he eats, so that he doesn' t get the feeling that there' s competition for his food.

You will have to increase his food intake almost weekly, as he grows. Don' t worry about how fast he eats - as long as he' s not panic-eating in case someone comes and takes his food!

The advice you' ve already been given about obesity etc is perfectly valid for all dogs - but it' s not really relevant to a young puppy yet.

I also wouldn' t be adding anything to his existing medication, without your vet' s knowledge and approval - it sounds like he' s getting good medical help.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Viparo | 2008/08/28

Hi Speedy, you' re very welcome.

The jack russel will do just fine. We have one as well, but also female, so we' ve had 1 or 2 incidents between the females. The male beagle gets along very well with her, but he' s a soppy softy pooch.

Good thinking on the breeding. I have a stray living with us now (Yes 4 all together) She' s a beagle/foxy cross. Very cute, but very very naughty.

Enjoy him, they' re the most beautiful intelligent dogs.

Reply to Viparo
Posted by: Speedy | 2008/08/28

Hi Viparo

Thank you very much. Your advice will help tremendously. I have a jack russel that is a year old. They seem to be getting on like a house on fire. Which has helped with his lonliness and hers. Though we are not allowing them to breed.

Once again thank you very much

Reply to Speedy
Posted by: Viparo | 2008/08/28

Hi Speedy, I am not a vet, but do own 2 beagles myself. First of all, congrats on getting the best breed in the world! (In my humble opinion)

Firstly, the runny nose might be an allergy. Beagles tend to be sensitive to change of season. There is a product called " eco snuff"  which helps my female beagle. Consult your vet first thou.

Secondly, they do eat excessively, that' s why they' re prone to obesity. My male beagle won' t stop eating (When it' s chicken) you have to take the bowl away after he' s had his allocated amount. I know it feels cruel, but it' s better in the long run. When he' s a bit older, you can take him on field days to burn off some energy.

One very important tip :Because of their builds, excessive weight puts strain on their hips and joints, and it' s very easy for them to slip a disc when jumping off a bed/couch if they' re over weight. Teach him from a young age how to climb off couches/beds etc. and he should be fine in the future. Even if he isn' t allowed in the house, at some stage in his life, he' s going to do it, and the result could be disastrous.

Also, bare in mind that he' s a pack dog, so instinctively he yearns for a pack. You can solve this by getting him a little sister, or by filling the void yourself. I do however recommend getting another one. They tend to suffer from separation anxiety when left alone for a few hours without a friend.

Go to the south african beagle website (I think the site is down at the moment) or join the facebook group for South African owners. Everyone will be more than happy to provide advice.

Happy Beagling!

Reply to Viparo