Posted by: battling | 2008/09/25

battling to lose weight

I am battling to lose weight for the last 20 years. I have found over the years that I actually feel rotten when I am on a weight loss diet eg. sureslim, low gi, weigh-less. So I tried a high protein-lots of steak-but I couldn' t stomach all that meat. I have noticed that when I am going to be entertaining and picking at food all the time as I prepare it I feel really good, alert, energetic. I seem to have developed a taste for salty food that i never had before, also for sharply sweet things eg berry sorbet that I also never had before. I even like crispy bacon fat now which is so wrong and which I really hated before.I have tried the diet on this website and it also doesn' t make me feel too good- tired, listless, etc..

Dear Battling
I hear what you are saying. The problem with going on different diets for 20 years, is that you may have damaged your metabolism so that it has become more and more difficult for you to lose weight. The one encouraging point you make is that you seem to feel better when you use what is called a 'nibbling diet'. For your own sake I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to do a diet history to find out which diet and types of food do not make you feel ill. The dietitian will also recommend if you require medical tests. Once you have found a diet that does not make you feel ill, you can also add daily aerobic exercise (brisk walking, skipping, or joining Walk for Life) for 30 or more minutes to the regimen to promote weightloss.
Hang in there

Posted by: Bambi | 2008/09/26

Hi there battling, come and chat to us, other battlings, at the Weight loss forum. Its encouraging to lose the weight with a group. I found for myself that talking there every weekday helps to keep the focus and makes me aware of the food that i eat.

Reply to Bambi