Question
Posted by: Lan | 2006/11/07

Bathing dog in Jeyes fluid

Hi All

My neighbour swears that bathing her dog in water with Jeyes fluid kills ticks and fleas and keeps fleas and ticks away . The dog does not smell too nice for a day or two, but it seems to work because I have not seen 1 flea or tick on her dog (Jack Russel). Now what I need to know is: What is your opinion on it? Is it not bad for the dog's skin? This dog has no skin problems....

This is not a good idea. Always ONLY use products registered for the specific animal as it has been shown to be safe for use on them. Periodically your vet may prescribe a treatment using a drug not specifically regisrtered for use in dogs or cats but has been shown to be effective against specific conditions.

15
Posted by: sue | 2015/09/24

trying to get rid of fleas in my very large grassed back garden looking for ideas to get rid of fleas will Jeyes fluid do this

Reply to sue
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/14

It is a known fact that the pharmaceutical and medical fraternity charge exorbitant prices for medicines and products "suitable" for dogs is no exception. They are designed to give less than mediocre results just to force the consumer to buy more and more and more. For more than 50 years, I've known of dog owners using Jeyes to rid their pets of fleas and it has had no adverse effect. In my estimation, those who advocate Jeyes being a danger to ones pet are some how affiliated to the suppliers of these outlandishly expensive products. After all, what makes the world go around? The sale of highly profitable products. If a dog breeder uses Jeyes doesn't it speak for itself? Would he endanger his merchandise that provides his bread and butter. Come on.

Posted by: Peaches mom | 2015/08/19

Ive used jeyes fluid for years on all my dogs. Ive seen 2 ticks in 15 year i swear by it,would highly recommend also prevents fleas and treats the mange . Dont over do it with the fluid though 2 or 3 cap fulls to there bath water once a week does the trick ,it also brings there coats on beautiful.

Reply to Peaches mom
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/01/17

well i have used jeys fluid for over 20 yrs and it does help and has never harmed any of my dogs

Posted by: Sally | 2014/09/23

I have just been reading some answers of why not to us a solution of Jeyes fluid to wash your dog and the smart comments hat go with these answers. I today have made up the Jeyes solution because when I use treatments that you can buy from your vet, ie, Front line my dog has fits. The last seizure lasted about 3 minutes. I have only just realised what was causing these seizures and apparently this happens quite a lot with dogs but you won't get a vet to tell you this as they endorse these products, after all you are administering a poison. The Jeyes solution has a powerful odour but that is a small sacrifice to make regarding my dogs health.

Reply to Sally
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/03/21

Why not bath your dogs in petrol and clean the teeth with brasso you half wits. And trim the nails with a chainsaw might aswell just wondering if you banned from keeping pets your best bet is a pet app on andriod no harm can be done then.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Aida2go@yahoo.ie | 2015/07/23

If you have a small, Jack Russell with a allergy and your vet keeps given him steroids, and you know they are not working, and worse he is getting, I tried bathing in in diluted jeyes fluid and let me tell you it worked.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/03/17

Not sure why anyone would want to bathe their dog in Jeyes Fluid or anything else not specially formulated for dogs. Here are a couple of links describing what has happened to some poor dogs who have been exposed to Jeyes. If clicking the link doesn't work, copy and Paste into your browser: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/chemical-alert-after-pet-dog-poisoned-1-5936349 https://www.facebook.com/groups/160702947404663/permalink/379640225510933/

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/18

Thanks for the mixing ratio I remember when the only flea dip was Jeyes. I do not find the smell bad the fleas are worse.We have tried all patent tablets shampoos the vet etc lots of payment with no results.

Posted by: Darryl | 2013/11/29

You are all wrong. Jeyes Fluid is the best flea and tick deterant you can buy.We have bred all breeds of dogs for years and this is all we use as well as cleaning and washing out kennels.You will not find a flea or tick on any of our dogs.20mls Jeyes to 20 lit. of water will do the trick.Their coats are soft and shiny.

Reply to Darryl
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/11/08

the farms in my area use this on there animals too... i wouldnt do it but...

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/07

I most certainly wouldn't use Jeyes fluid on any dog of mine... but: perhaps one ought to find out and be sure. I know of a lot of people who won't use poisons in their garden but swear by diluted Jeyes fluid used as a spray, to kill insects, and it doesn't seem to harm the plants.

I don't have any Jeyes, but perhaps someone who has could have a look on the tin to see if there's a contact number, and give them a call? I'd be very interested to hear.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: j | 2006/11/07

My way of thinking is if I would not use it on my hair why would i use it on my dog. I agree with the fact that a dog has an extreme nose sense and this smell must sure mess up his scent "BUDS"
I must say at the moment i am really battling with fleas and nothing is helping. No P+P, vet or s/rite goodies are working for me. I have started to spray my yard and house with a sheep dip and with that fine spray in the house the smell does go very quickly and at least we and the dogs are not killed by the smell. MY maid also believes in Jeyes as she says nothing is helping our dogs and her fleas are gone, but I am very worried in the long run. I feel we need a deeper look into the product so that we can educate people about it, good or bad.

Reply to j
Posted by: KAZ | 2006/11/07

I personnally never heard of a dog getting bathed in water with Jeyes fluids. That stuff is to kill germs down the drain not dogs. The stuff is strong to start off with and it will eventually do harm to the dog. Although no ticks and fleas but a pong from the Jeyes fluid imagine the what the poor dog is going through as dogs noses are very sensitive to smell.

My suggestion to you tell your neighbour to read up whether this will harm her dog in the long term and I agree totally with Acineth.

Reply to KAZ
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/11/07

I think she's absolutely mad. There are products that have specifically been formulated not to harm dogs that keep ticks and fleas away.

Reply to Acineth