Question
Posted by: Cookie | 2004/12/20

Basset puppy first heat

Hi Doc,

I would just like to know my basset puppy is is 11 months old is on heat. How long does it normally last ? She licks it all the time I have washed her but she keeps licking it. I know that is probably normal but it looks like it gets irritated when she licks it all the time.

cookie

Hi Cookie
Heats normally last 3 weeks, the middle week being when they are most receptive to male dogs, so keep her under lock and key during this time. The vulva swells and drips blood. It may also be itchy. Washing it will not help. If you are concerned then visit your vet as infections are possible.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Pi | 2004/12/21

I am not exactly sure about how long it will last, if my memory serves me correctly, the bleeding is for about a week. It is like a human being having a period. Then she is on heat for about a week and ready to mate. If you don't want to breed, you better make sure she is locked up very good otherwise you will sit with unwanted puppies.

Licking is her way of keeping it clean.

good luck!

Reply to Pi