Question
Posted by: Chanel | 2004/10/05

Basset Hounds - child friendly?

Would a basset hound be a good choice for a toddler's pet? Any other suggestions?

Hi Chanel
Yes, Basset hounds usually are good family pets (especially spayed bitches). Be careful of giving a toddler a puppy to look after. I'm sure you realise that a toddler really isn't old enough or able to do all that needs to be done for a dog. I believe that a dog should belong to the family and not to one person in the family - all members of the family should have roles to play in the life of the dog. A child can help by giving the pup his food, doing the poop scooping and perhaps brushing, while the adults must do everything else. Bassets are large dogs, so don't be deceived by their height. They need quite a lot of exercise and most have to be kept on lead or they wander off, following their noses forever. They do slobber and have long ears which can get in the food bowl, so keep a facecloth handy. For other breeds go to the petlinks page of my website for breed sites: www.animal-behaviour.org.za/karengray
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

3
Posted by: Corné | 2004/10/06

I also grew up with Beagles(got my 1st one when I was 2 years old!) & currently have a 1 year old Beagle bitch, Emma. She is divine with kids , other dogs & cats. I will highly recommend Beagles, they are also way more intellegent than Bassets & have less back & eye problems in their old age.
Good luck with choosing your puppy!

Reply to Corné
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/06

No dog is going to be suitable for a toddler unless you mean u want a family pet that is good with small children ?

A kitten would be a better bet for a toddler they can tolerate far more and they do teach little ones manners .

My siamese cat used to gently put his claws im my kids when they were small , they learnt very quickly not to be rough.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chloé | 2004/10/05

I grew up with a Beagle - very similar to the Basset hound. The beagle was amazing, very patient and playful.

I have heard that basset hounds are difficult to train, though I could be wrong.

Reply to Chloé