Question
Posted by: Janine | 2007/05/24

Bashful and lack of confidence

Hi Doc,

I have a problem with lack of confidence and I blush when people try have conversations with me or if i'm in a situation out of my control. For example I had a telephonic job interview today, and I just cannot express what I am trying to say. For some reason I forget words and land up saying stupid things and bugger the whole situation up. (Needless to say I doubt i'll get the job) I cannot control my blushing especially when I have all the attention in a crowd of people. I eventually feel so embarrassed and uncomfortably "hot under the collor". People ask why I'm going red in the face and I cannot give them an explanation.

What can I do??

Shyness is of course a much bigger problem than is recognized by people who don't feel shy. CBT counselling is an excellent and effective treatment for shyness and social anxiety ; and of course it also helps to rehearse anticipated situations calmly, and make some notes of the main points you want to raise. DO see a good local shrink for assessment and help to find a good CBT therapist ( and soem meds may also help ) and this can be sorted out surprisingly rapidly.