Question
Posted by: Liezl | 2008/01/29

Basedow Graves disease

Hi, I am not sure what to do anymore. Lately I've been feeling very sick. I was dizzy, felt like fainting, my eye sight is a bit worse, my heartbeat is 125 when relaxing, my hair is falling out, I don't feel strong enough to hold my baby (5 months old) longer than 5min's, I itch allot at night, I am out of breath when walking only 10metres. I am very tired and lost allot of weight (but bear in mind - I am back to my normal weight before I got pregnant. They tested my Thyroid and said I have Basedow Graves disease and gave medicine to drink and on the 11th of Feb I have to do blood tests again, then they are going to perform Radio active Iodine treatment. Isn't that dangers, shouldn't I rather go for the Op? They said it could make you sterile, and I want two more kids - at least. I was always skinny, but the doctor says this is something new, and I haven't had it my whole life. How do I know that? Am I not going to get fat now? I need help; I don't know what to do. They say my "pertegnetaat opname" is 4%. My TSH is 0.01 and my Free T4 is 68.3. Is it really necessary to go for the treatment? Isn't their something I can do to bring it back to normal? And will it really make me sterile.

Dear Liezl
See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/graves-disease/DS00181/DSECTION=1
And http://www.endocrinologist.com/Radioactive.html
Graves Basedow’s disease is caused by outo immune antibodies attacking your thyroid and causing hyper thyroidism or an overactive thyroid gland. The radioactive iodine concentrates in the thyroid as this is where Iodine is absorbed and won’t make you sterile, although you should avoid falling pregnant for 6 months afterwards. It is safe to use. You won’t get fat as your thyroid will be monitored and treated as needed. You need to go for the treatment as you can get very sick if this gets out of hand.