Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/01/27

Basal temp charting

HI doc

I have a long cycle, around 40 to 45 days so decided to start charting my temps to check if I'm ovulating. In the first half of my cycle I was charting 36.3, 36.4, then dropped from 36.3 on day 22 to 36.1 on day 25. Rose to 36.3 on day 26, 36.5 on day 27, then 36.4 on day 28, 36.5 on day 29 and then up to 36.7 on day 30 and since then has bounced around 36.7 to 36.8. I am now on day 39 of my cycle and my temp suddenly shot up to 37.1 this morning. When did I ovulate? I'm a bit confused. I thought it was probably day 25 when my temp was lowest and considering the temps have increased quite a lot since or would day 29 be it as it is 0.2 degrees above the previous 6 days.

I think the first thing to do is to have a blood test to check whether you are ovulating at all. With a 40-45 day cycle, the chances are that you are not.