Question
Posted by: Lynn | 2006/10/25

Basal Cell Carcinoma

I recently had a lesion on my back removed and some of the explanations on the pathology report is greek to me. I was diagnosed with melanoma three years ago and every now and again have a lesion removed. The report reads: "Proliferation of basaloid cells which extend into underlying dermis" and "Prominent palisaded orientation of basaloid cells towards the periphery of the nests in areas" and "solar elastosis"
Please give me the explanations of the above so that I can understand what it all means.

Expert ImageArchive

The report indicates that you have a basal cell carcinoma. This is a the commonest form of skin cancer. In most cases the outlook is excellent. They virtually never spread to other areas. This lesion is not related to a melanoma. Sun exposure may play a role in the origin of both. Solar elastosis refers to visible sun damage in the skin. The cells are arranged in groups=nests. Follow by the docter who removed the lesion is essential. I suggest 6 weeks from now.