Question
Posted by: Sertra and Sleep | 2012/09/13

Barry

Hi, I''ve been prescribed Sertra (Zoloft clone?) by my psychiatrist. I took my first 1/2 tablet yesterday at around 13:00pm. I fell asleep ok but I woke up at 2am and I just couldn''t get back to sleep. It must have been around 4am before I dozed off again.

1) Are there any over the counter or natural supplements I can take to help me sleep better that won''t clash with the Sertra? I already take Melatonin.

2) I was told to take it in the morning with breakfast and not have any stimulants throughout the day. The thing is I fast every day from 7pm until 12pm the next afternoon and only then do I break fast. Will it be a problem if I have my Sertra on an empty stomach?

Firstly, I find doctors often don't know or if they do, don't bother to mention, what TIME one should take particular pills, and timing can make a real difference, especially to side-effects. If a pill makes you drowsy, that's handy at night, inconvenient when at the office, and dangerous when driving.
And in your case, your prescribing doc needs to suggest the best timing for your Sertra AND your Melatonin.
I'm not clear about your fasting routine. Why ? The timing you describe doesn't sound like any religious fasting ( which is also limited to particular days of the year ) If this is a long-term personal habit, it sounds like a really bad idea, health-wise, with no possible health advantages, and it would potentially complicate the use and effectiveness of many different meds.
This needs more detailed discussion with your psychiatrist - is he aware of your odd eating pattern ? ( Which, by the way, could well influence your sleep cycle, too ).

2
Posted by: Maria | 2012/09/13

Have you tried slow release melatonin?

Reply to Maria