Question
Posted by: Lizzy | 2003/02/01

barrets oesophagus

My husband has recently been diagnosed with Barrets Oesophagus. He was also diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma 7yrs ago,for which he had treatment and has lead a normal life since,although his condition is incurable. As a result of a CT scan in 1997 an endoscopy was performed,but we were not informed of any concerns.Do you think the Barrets is related,I realise that this can develope into cancer but could this be completely seperate.

Lizzy, Barret’s develops because of chronic reflux and may lead to cancer of the oesophagus. It is a term used to describe the changes that take place in the lower end of the oesophagus before the cancer develops. Cancer can in other words not lead to Barret’s oesophagus. Good luck and let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.