Question
Posted by: Dessert Queen | 2005/11/21

Bariatric surgery Centers

Do we have any centers in South Africa where Bariatric Surgery is done?

Dear Dessert Queen
I speak under correction, but I don't think we have specific centres where Bariatric surgery is done. Specific surgeons specialise in these operations and you would need to ask your gp to refer you to the surgeon in your area who does these ops. At a conference on obesity awhile ago, mention was made that some of the government hospitals would also consider these ops if the patient was severely obese and no other treatment had proved effective. You would have to enquire if this is so in your region.