Question
Posted by: Melanie | 2007/02/20

Bariatric Surgery

Good day.

Where could i find more info about the Bariatric surgery.

Dear Melanie
If you go back through the letters sent in by Readers and read the ones posted by Savannah, you will get a weekly update on how she is progressing after her bariatric surgery. You need to ask your gp to refer you to a dr who does bariatric surgery in your area and then see the surgeon and discuss all the pros and cons with him or her.
But read the messages from Savannah - they are an eye opener.

3
Posted by: Manda | 2007/04/19

Rather go to Dr H. van der Walt at Unitas. Dr de Beer is doing an operation that is life threatening in the short and long term. This operartion Dr de Beer does has been considered as immoral since 1980. Surgery at Dr van der Walt will amount to approximately R65 000. Rather go to someone reputable, before ending up like a huge percentage of Dr de Beers patients!

Reply to Manda
Posted by: Savannah | 2007/02/20

You can also search the net for bypass operation / bariatric surgery. Lots of information.

Reply to Savannah
Posted by: Savannah | 2007/02/20

Hi Melanie. I had the surgery about 5 weeks ago. Believe me when I say it wasn't easy, but well worth it. There is so much I can tell you! If you are thinking about the gastric bypass then contact Prof van der Schyff at the Wilgers Hospital in Pretoria. He does the op, but beware it is very pricy and can cost up to R120 000-00 and medical aids don't pay. Another option is Dr de Beer at Medforum clinic in Pretoria. He does the small bowel bypass (an operation not allowed in USA at all). Many success stories though. Price about R22 000 for op and see that you have about R3000-R5000 for recovery meds. Your BMI needs to be more than 40 and you are screened to have the op. Not on demand kind of operation. A lot of pain and sacrifice, but worth it. Let me know if you need to know anything else. Please beware that this is mayor and dangerous surgery. Definitely not for the faint hearted!
*Hugs*

Reply to Savannah