Question
Posted by: "Fatty" | 2008/05/21

Bariatric Bypass

Me again, this time on behalf of hubby whose weight I'm worried about.

He will not eat healthy foods, nor drink more than 3 glasses of water per day. He does go to the gym but I'm not sure what exercises he does because he does not come home sweating, and he does not lose wieght from that.

He was grossly overweight and had this op in January last year (2007). He lost about 60 kgs in the first 10 months and since then nothing!!! He is still 20kg's overweight which he is just not losing. This could be because he eats about 300g of chocolate per day? I am very worried that his continual eating all day long will stretch what is left of his stomach and we'll be back to square 1. He is always hungry and snacking: 4 slices of bread, a pie, chips (a big packet) every so often (definitely not 3 to 4 hourly)

We certainly cannot afford another bariatric op, we had to scrape enough money together for this op and cut out certain things to be able to afford it, the Med. Aid does not pay for it. Although they do benefit because he no longer takes the 3 blood pressure pills he used to take daily.

I am also trying to convince him to go for a tummy tuck to get rid of all the lose skin, as well as the loose skin on his neck where the double chins used to be. He says we do not have the money in the first place, (but I know a plan can be made). Secondly he says he must still lose that weight, which is not coming off. Then he says he must wait another year before he can go for the skin ops.

Currently my main concern is that he is going to go back to where he was before. How do I stop that from happening? He is 52 years old and chose to be on early retirement.

Thank you for your help.

"fatty"

Dear "Fatty"
Your are quite correct that your hubby is undoing all the positive effects of his bariatric surgery. He MUST NOT eat high-fat, high-energy foods all the time because this will not only stop him losing additional weight, but it can lead to him starting to regain weight he has lost. I would recommend that you contact the central number for the Bariatric Centres of Excellence at: 0861-62307489 and ask what you can do to help him to stop this destructive behaviour. They will also be able to make recommendations about the tummy tuck.
So talk to the experts in this field because it would be a disaster if all the money and hard work and pain and suffering would be for nothing.
Hang in there