Question
Posted by: concerned | 2006/07/27

Banned Drugs in Sport

Hi Doc,
I read your article about banned drugs. I noted that slimming products can cause positive results. I have been taking a fat loss supplement called Lean System 7 (made by iSatori) which contains 3-acetyl-7oxy-dyhydroepiandrosterone, is this banned substance. According to some web sites it does not have the side effects of DHEA and I can not find it specifically as a banned substance. I have stopped using it now as a precaution as i have an event coming up very soon (9days). Will this clear from my body in time? Can you tell me more about it as most info I find appears to be promotional. Thanks

Dear Concerned
The most important part of the molecule of your Lean System product, namely dihydro-epiandrosterone is actually DHEA, which is banned. The little side-chains that have been added onto the DHEA make no difference. If you take part in competitive sport where dope testing is a reality it is always better not to use any products that are potentially harmful or banned. I have no experience with the period of time it takes for anabolic agents like DHEA to be excreted from the body, but I suspect this may take quite long.
Take care