Question
Posted by: tisri | 2004/10/25

ballet exercise

is ballet exercise a good way to get into shape without bulking up? i am 22 and weigh 53kg. i'm 1.62m. not really fit and have a bit of flabby skin going on... i want to tone without looking like a man. i also want to lose more weight! is it healthy for me to weigh 45/46? please help! i'm desperate and summer is here!

Hi Tisiri

Ballet is very tough and very demanding. Ballet dancers are often considered some of the fittest people on the planet, and so if you train hard and do it well, then definitely it's a very good way. I guess the key is to do it often enough and to take it relatively seriously. It is certainly great for toning. The problem is that you will first have to learn the technique (which is a challenge and I'm sure that you would even enjoy it), but often, with technique sports, you start deriving more benefit later on, when you have learnt this sort of technique.

As for your ideal body weight, for someone who is weighing 53 kg, your body weight is already giving you a BMI of 20, which is really low, and to lose 7 kg would take you down into being seriously underweight. I would therefore encourage you to rather focus on toning and getting fit and let your body weight take care of itself. If you focus on losing weight, you will be in real danger of getting yourself underweight and that would have health consequences.

So go ahead with ballet, but don't get too concerned about your weight - you are already the ideal weight for height, you have nothing to be concerned about as far as weight goes. Rather find yourself a sport that you will enjoy and feel comfortable doing.

1
Posted by: zana147 | 2004/10/25

is ballet exercise a good way to get into shape without bulking up? i am 20 and weigh 59kg. i'm 1.65m. not really fit. i want to tone without looking like a man. i also want to lose more weight! is it healthy for me to weigh 45/46? please help! i'm desperate and summer is here!

Reply to zana147