Question
Posted by: madas | 2003/02/21

Balanced diet for my sun

My son is six years old and healthy. I've always tried to give him a balanced diet - and he eats all kinds of vegetables (raw and cooked) and fruit. Drinks enough water. Recently he started refusing to eat red meat. He eats a lot of chicken and fish (loves tinned tuna). Some evenings he would only eat steamed veggies with a little cheese. Doensnt drink a lot of milk, but often eats yoghurt and has a daily portion of cheese (with tomatoe and cucumber) on his sandwich for school. He eats wholewheat bread. And he eats about 3 eggs per week. Like all children he's always ready for something sweet and KFC and McDonalds (one fastfood meal once a week - and usually chicken strips or something like that)
Long story, but is it okay if there is hardly any red meat in his diet (he eats mince about once a week)? Should I give extra vitamins? I dont cook lentils and beans (he doesnt like it - exept for tinned baked beans. Except for the meat he eats almost anything.
Please advise

Dear Madas
From what you say, your son is doing fine. The most vital nutrients contained in meat are: high quality protein, iron, zinc and vitamin B12. However, these nutrients are also contained by chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, so you need not worry. It is always better to let young children eat the healthy foods they prefer, e.g. chicken instead of red meat and not to make an issue of a specific food. At a later stage of his life, he may well develop a taste for red meat and even legumes, just give him time.

1
Posted by: madas | 2003/02/21

please correct the spelling mistake in subject....

Reply to madas