Question
Posted by: NAT | 2004/11/11

BALANCED DIET FOR A TODDLER

Dear dietdoc,
Could you please, tell me how many times a day I should give to my 2 years old child a proper meals. Every morning she eats porridge or breakfast cereal with milk. For her lunch she normally eats vegetables with potato, rice or pasta and some kind of meat (apart from beef and pork) and for her dinner I would give her soup with toast & cheese. I give her fruits in between her meals, but this is it really.
Does is sound like a balanced diet? Is she is getting enough of everything? Should I feed her more often? Is she missing anything in her diet, e.g. fish?Please, advice. Thanks.

Dear Nat
Small children have small stomachs and may need to eat smaller portions more frequently than adults. Is she also still having additional milk and/or yoghurt (besides the milk at breakfast)? If not, then you need to add half a cup milk/yoghurt at least 3 times a day to provide sufficient calcium. If she does not eat red meat like beef and pork yet, and no eggs? then she may need extra iron, so do include eggs as part of her diet. If you click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and 'Menus for Toddlers from 1-3 years' you will obtain the quantities a 2-year-old child should be eating. Read the other articles on Toddlers too for additional information.