Question
Posted by: BBB | 2004/11/17

Balance diet - skin care

I am 34 years of age and still have blemishes on my face, on many occasions I will still get yellow heads that pop up. I am single and follow a really unbalanced diet. In fact I have no idea what a balanced diet for me would be. I have only recently started using moisturiser, and this seems to be making a slight difference. I never used it before because I used to think my skin was too oily. I don't know if too much milk and dairy products could be affecting my skin or even still hormones at my age?

Please help...

Dear BBB
Yes, hormones at any age can cause excess oil production in the skin, pimples. blackheads and acne. You need to consult a Dermatologist to correct this hormone imbalance. Also click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and read the articles on 'Balanced Diets'. There is NO dietary cure for acne, so see that Dermatologist ASAP.

2
Posted by: chanti | 2004/11/17

Which foods have zinc - from this site

Seafood such as oysters and sardines, wheat germ, red meat such as liver, beef, lamb and pork, fish such as sardines, and pumpkin seeds.

Reply to chanti
Posted by: Chanti | 2004/11/17

BBB,

a healthy diet only contributes slightly to bad skin. Rather go and see a dermatologist - my medical aid covered everything when i went (2 yrs back) You get a medication called Roaccutane which is a gift from God for acne and skin prob's. Then you can also incorporate a healthy life syle with the med's. Eat loads of fruit, veggies and chicken and fish (especially Salmon, it's perfect for skin!) and get lots of Zinc, maybe even buy yourself a Zinc supplement to take daily! Spinach and green veggies are also a good source if iron and zinc which will help!
Drinks lots of Water too!! NB!! and AVOID fizzy drinks and too much fruit juice - it's not the same as real fresh fruit!!
Caffein can also aggrevate bad skin - so be careful, drink Rooibos Tea or decaf coffee.
Also eat lots of fibre which will remove toxins and waste from the system!! Eg. Hi fibre Bran(excellen!!) or Museli for breakfast with dried fruits and nuts!!
Try limit the amount of fatty foods you eat - it won't change your acne condition but it will help your skin have a healthy glow and smooth texture.

It is impertive that you use cleanser, toner AND moisturiser!! oily skin too needs moisture and protection from the sun!!
What helps me is the New, Loreal "Pure Zone" range - it comes in Step 1 (cleanser) Step 2 (Toner) and Step 3 (Moisturizer)
A good cleansing system will do wonders too!!

Hope this helps!
Good luck!!

Reply to Chanti