Question
Posted by: Painful knee | 2008/06/21

Baker's Cyst

I have a Baker's Cyst that has developed on the inside of my knee and protrudes to the back of my knee, which is extremelly noticeable. It has become painful of late and has grown. I have been told that this should just disappear on it's own and dissolve. How long would this normally take to dissolve and if it doesn't dissolve on it's own is there anything that can be done to make it more comfortable i.e. drain it?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Painful knee
If the Baker's cyst is the result of either a cartilage tear or arthritis, treatment of these conditions usually relieves the swelling and discomfort.
Many times no treatment is required and the cyst will disapear on its own (no specific time frame).
If the cyst is large and very painful, your doctor can either do a needle aspiration (draining the fluid by inserting a needle), inject some steroids to reduce the swellin or suggest ice compresses and gentle range of motion strengthening exercises.