Question
Posted by: Worried | 2004/10/25

Bad scratch

My kitten scratched my older Persian's nose badly. It's seeping. Because of his flat face I'm worried about infection. Is it worth having it checked out?

Usually superficial scratches will clear up within a few days. If it takes longer than a few days to heal, or there is excessive swelling in the area or the cat becomes painful, it must receive more specific treatment. Usually a course of antibiotics will sort that out.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/25

I would tend to agree that it should be checked out, especially if it's oozing.

It's not a bad idea to keep some liquid betadine in the house for such occurrences - put some onto a bit of cotton wool and clean the scratch as vigorously as the cat will alow - obviously without hurting it. And don't worry, the yellow stain comes out easily with water.

There's also stuff called Prenine, which is an ointment in a tube - not expensive, and useful for small wounds and scratches.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/25

I think it would be. He may need anti-biotics - kitty claws aren't sterile.

Reply to Acineth