Question
Posted by: Annie | 2004/11/08

Bad habits

Hi Doc and everyone else,

I have to loose about 5 kg's to reach a BMI of 22, so I don't have that much weight to go, but I have been struggeling for 2 years to loose it. I have been on every diet, pill and potion you can think of. As a final resort, I joined Weigh Less 2 months ago to finally get rid of it for once and for all! And also to learn some healthy eating habits, which I don't posses at all at this stage.

The only problem is, as with all diets I try, I stick to it religiousely for a month or so, and the weight just comes off. Then, I have a "bad" day, which turns into a bad week, and slowly but surely I regain all the weight I've lost so far, and end up abandoning the diet, only to start something else a couple of months down the line again. I have learnt to accept that I will always have to watch my weight, but none of my friends have to, so as soon as I am with them, I just eat and drink like a crazy person.

After sticking to Weigh Less for a month, I am (once again) going back to my old habits, and I don't want to, this time I want to make it work! What advise do you, or anyone else, have for me to keep motivated on a diet and not too let myself "go". Also, I am prone to bingeing, where I will eat anything in sight, thinking I will go back to my diet tomorrow, only tomorrow I also binge, and so the cycle continues.

Thanks for the help, which I really need!, and the excellent forum which reminds me that I am not the only person in the world prone to weight problems!

Dear Annie
You realise that this problem centres round your capacity for self-control? I would advise you to contact Mandy Swinburne at mands@innertalk.co.za and ask her about the Innertalk self-motivation tapes to help you stick to a diet and exercise routine. If you find that you are constantly causing your diets to fail, then it may also be a good idea to consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you)to help you to firstly get to the bottom of these self-defeating behaviours and learn to cope with them.