Question
Posted by: bad dreams | 2007/08/06

bad dreams causing me to be anxious

for the past couple of weeks, i've been having nightmares about being in a car accident. the dreams are never the same but they all end the same way - i lose control of the car and have an accident.
because of this, i've become a very anxious driver. at the end of each day, my muscles ache because i am so tense while driving. i'm more scared of what other drivers will do that could cause me to have an accident.
it feels really silly asking for advice on dreams but its taking over my life. when i have to go home from work, i sit in my car, on the verge of tears trying to psyche myself up.
i know i'm not a reckless driver but i cant understand why i'm having these dreams.
should i take these dreams to heart or is this a sign that i'm losing control of something else in my life?

Bad dreams might make you anxious, but even more so, anxiety makes you have bad dreams. Dreams have far less significance than most of us imagine, but maybe there's some significance in feeling nearly out of control, and at risk from others ? See a good GP at least, or preferably a good local shrink, for a full assessment and advice on your treatment options. From the sound of it, CBT counselling could be good for you