Question
Posted by: Worried Mom | 2004/10/19

Bad Dreams

Hi, my 8 year old Son is having bad dreams, which occur about an hour after he goes to sleep at night, about 4 times a week. He wakes up, comes running to me, and is very dillusional and frightened. I comfort him as much as I can and try to reassure him that everything is OK. He cannot tell me what he is dreaming about. He just looks at me and cries uncontrollably, saying that I must not let anything happen to him! I have questioned him about being bullied at school, even maybe thinking that he might be being abused in some way. He denis all of this and says "everything is alright Mom." I am very worried. He is a very bright, well behaved child and he has always gone to bed at his bedtime without any fuss. After reading a few articles about nightmares, I have established that they happen after a few hours of sleep, when a child is in a very deep sleep. This is not happening with him, as it happens about 1 hour after he has fallen asleep.

J's suggestion ( or, rather, that of her son ) is excellent --- try it out. There are various varieties of nightmare and night terror ( in he latter the child has no recall of dream content ) which are usually a hairly short phase they grow through, though a child psychologist might be able to help if they persist.

2
Posted by: J | 2004/10/19

Sorry meant to say his seven yr old brother.

Reply to J
Posted by: J | 2004/10/19

Hi WM

My 11 year old would not go to sleep the other night because he was afraid of a recurring bad dream that he has when he goes off to sleep.Surprisingly, his seven yr old suggested he does a drawing of the dream, then take that drawing tear it up and throw it away into the dustbin (apparently he saw this on TV).
We tried it and he has not complained of the dream since.

Maybe, you should try it.I also think it would be easier for your son to express the dream in a drawing, as he obviously is unable to express it in words.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Reply to J