Question
Posted by: bella | 2004/10/24

bad chest

Dear Doc
Please could you try and answer some questions for me. I am a 45 year old female. In the last 7 months I have had 4 chest infections. They clear with antibiotics but the broncitis comes back again.
Last week I had terrible pains in my ribs in my back and the pain traveled to the front under my ribs as well. Went of to the emergency room because I couldn't breath properley. They put me on antibiotics and told me to go back for an x-ray the next day which is what I did. The doctor explained that part of the bottom part of my lung has collapsed but it is nothing to worry about. To me it is something to worry about. The words in the x-ray are as follows: the parenchymal bands in the lower zone would favour areas of subsegmental atelectasis rather than infection. However atypical pneumoia is a possibility. Please correlate further and if need be, with a follow x-ray.
Should I go and see my local GP and is this something that I should be taking care of?

Bella, the best would be to wait 2-4 weeks (providing that you don’t become worse) and then go to your GP for a follow-up. Make sure that he takes a follow-up x-ray too. Good luck.