Question
Posted by: Friend | 2003/03/03

Bad breath while dieting

I am on a protein diet at the moment. For the past 7 weeks I have bad breath. I know it's from dieting, it happened before while I'm on a diet.

What can I do, besides brushing teeth and floss?

Friend, I suppose the most obvious solution would be to stop dieting:-). The smell on your breath might be due to ketones, but it might also be to something else. The best would probably to try to drink water regularly (ie a glass an hour). Good luck.

1
Posted by: Pat | 2003/03/03

Are you on the DR Atkinsons diet? If you read his book about that diet, he mentions ketones, and I went and found this info fotr you : "" Is Bad Breath a problem on this diet?
Bad breath is from the production of ketones. As you burn body fat it is a good sign that the diet is working. Ketone production is necessary for continuing weight loss. To counteract the odor, you may increase to a slightly higher carbohydrate level; however, this can slow down weight loss. You may also use chlorophyll (must be sugarless), eat more parsley and dark green, leafy vegetables, and be sure that your water intake is at least 8 or more glasses daily, go check out the site, full of info about protein diets

http://www.dietlowcarb.com/faq/#breath

Reply to Pat