Question
Posted by: Nel | 2003/01/20

Bad breath

A friend of mine has very bad breath. He is a vegetarian so it can't be from too much protein. So far as I know, he eats a very balanced diet and gets regular exercise. He doesn't smoke or take drugs etc. What could be the cause of this bad breath? And please suggest ANY solutions available. Lastly, is this something I should tell him? And if so - HOW?

Dear Nel
Halitosis is quite often caused by problems of either the oral cavity, the nasal cavity or the digestion. Tooth decay, diseased gums, nasal infections, and a tendency to excrete sulphur-containing compounds after eating garlic and other members of the allium family (raw onions, chives) can cause such odours. I don't know if you should tell this person because he could be offended and resent your interference! You could get around to the subject indirectly by asking him if he can refer you to a good dentist - if he does not have a dentist you could suggest that it is a good idea to have a dental checkup at least once a year to prevent tooth decay and ensure that one's gums are healthy. Hopefully he will go for a checkup and the dentist will investigate the problem. I just hope this approach works.

1
Posted by: jakes | 2003/01/24

just another opinion --
i think it is only fair to tell him !!

how ??
must be anonymous !!

by e-mail or ordinary mail - letter !!

how ??
register with a helpful name - on an e mail site and send him an e-mail.

thats how I would like it !!

Reply to jakes