Question
Posted by: Elvee | 2006/07/27

Bad Bad Attitude

Is this an excuse or what can I do to change myself? Finished treatment for cancer 3 months ago and battled with memory and concentration at works which seems to be coming right BUT my boss (just two of us in agency) has lost a contract and so basically can't afford me and has taken on other work which I will do but also cut my salary by R4,000 p.m. Since then I am just so switched off and find I am impatient irritable and just plain bad attitude and each day I say I will try and not be like that. I suppose it is up to me to accept changes or not but I cannot get out of this rift. Any suggestions besides being thankful that I have a job but I just don't like being used - I make coffee, do shopping, pay his personal accounts, do all his personal work and run the business for him. He likes to come in at 10am and leave at 3pm. Suppose if you own a buisness that it how it works. I am sure you are all going to bomb on me

Counselling ? Like Garfuield, I think it sounds unfair ( I bet boss didn't take any salary cut ? ) Why not call CCMA and Dept of Labour and check out your rights.

2
Posted by: Taurus | 2006/07/27

Hey Elvee,
I suffer from the same thing at my workplace. I am so sick and tired of being used and treated differently from my other co-workers, I have also developed a "stuff you" sort of attitude. I am the hardest worker here, come to work when I am sick......let me give you an example. I am a type 1 diabetic, and am not supposed to go to work if I am not feeling well, I am supposed to go directly to a doctor. My boss has known about my diabetes since I was diagnosed. A couple of months ago, I was feeling really ill and didn't realise at the time that my insulin pump wasn't delivering my insulin. I worked until 12:00 clearing my desk of any jobs that were lying around, so that no one had to worry about it in case I was sick the following day. I went to my boss at 3:00 and asked him if I could go home, he told me to take a pill and carry on with my work. Needless to say I ended up in hospital with sugars over 40. But when it comes to my co-workers, they come and go as they please, if they don't feel well on monday they don't come to work, and can stay off work for up to 2 weeks at a time. We start work at 8, I am here at 6:30 every day, plus work through my lunch. I am probably screwing myself over, but my Mom always taught me to be a hard worker and take pride in my job. I have lost all of my pride in what I do, and couldn't really care anymore. I have told my boss, I enjoy what I do, but I just don't like the place that I am working at, the whole place has such a negative attitude. I think the best thing that I could do is find myself another place to work. So in short, you don't deserve a bombing from anyone, we all go through it. Some of us find coping mechanisms, others, like me, have nervous breakdowns. (and I am only 25). It is just how we deal with it that makes us stronger. I told my boss how I felt, and funny enough he has become more accomodating to my needs. Good luck to you!

Reply to Taurus
Posted by: Garfield | 2006/07/27

Elvee, I will definitely NOT be 'bombing' on you.

Of course a huge salary cut is going to be de-motivating. Of course there is reason for you to feel the way you are - don't be so hard on yourself!

Has your boss not given you any indication of how long this 'cut' will last or what measures he is going to to try find a way around it? Can you not speak to him and tell him that you feel as if you are being taken for a ride and unnapreciated, as it sounds as if you are a very integral part of that company.

Not sure, but also think it is legally questionable to just minus R4000 off somone's salray without there being some sort of agreement in place.

Also, as it is his company, it should be HIM not taking a salary, not the staff. He reaps the benefits of having his own company, he should also be responsible for staying with his sinking ship, and not dashing off and leaving the staff to sink!!!! Speak to him - he IS being unfair!!!

Reply to Garfield