Question
Posted by: Mikey | 2007/12/13

Bacterial Blood Infection

Hi Doc, Thought I had tickbite fever a while ago though I couldn't find a bite. Had the symptoms so went and saw doc who put me on course of anibiotics. Didn't seem to work though and fever, nausea, vomitting worsened with my temp up at 40 last night. Went to GP today who had bloodtest done and he has phoned to say there's evidence of a 'bacterial blood infection' and that a different anitbiotic will do the trick. Does that sound about right and could that diagnosis explain why I felt so bloody awful?
Thanks.

Hallo Mikey
You probably had a high white cell count in the blood. Have you tested urine to exclude a kidney infection? This can make you feel pretty awful.
If you have been in a malaria area, and did not take good precautions, it may also be wise to just do a malaria test too.

1
Posted by: Mikey | 2007/12/13

Thanks Doc. Yes, did a urine test but came up ok. Have had malaria before and this feels a little similar but I havent been in any malaria areas in years so shouldn't be that. I just wanted another opinion as I've had experience where, when the doctor doesn't have a clue, they tend to use vague, cover-all terms like 'viral infection' etc. Thanks again. Be well.

Reply to Mikey