Question
Posted by: November | 2006/10/26

Backpain & Yoga

I have never done Yoga,but now recently have become very interested in it because of all the positive things i've heard about It,but i had back surgery 3 yrs ago and imy back has never been the same as i cannot sit or stand for too long.I know that there is a lot of sitting,bending,etc with Yoga and i would like for you to advise on this please.

Expert ImageYoga

Hi November - over 80% of adults will suffer from lower back ailments in their lifetime and although not all will require surgery, it is an affliction that exacts a huge toll on our lives. I often say to people that yoga is one of the best things that you can do to prevent and aid back problems because no other regimen involves as much extension, flexion, rotation, strengthening and lengthening of the spinal column. The spine is the centre of the body and the support infrastructure of the nervous system so healthy spine equals healthy body. I would strongly suggest that you start a yoga practise as soon as possible - you may need to modify postures so that there is no pain and to ensure you are comfortable but I have no doubt that you will benefit enormously.
Chris