Question
Posted by: jan | 2002/12/20

Back/neck exercises

I was very active at gym. 12 weeks ago I woke up with a stiff neck. It has been a slow recovery but i am getting there. My MRI scan picked up minor disc bulges. What exercises would you advise to assist build neck/back muscles. What exercises are good and what should I avoid. For eg. swimming, cycling etc.

Hi Jan

As the neck and back are highly delicate areas, I would recommend you either ask your physio for exercises that won't aggravate your condition or that you consider doing the healthy back programme at the Sports Science Institute (ph: 021 659 5700). You can't be TOO caeful with your neck and the last thing you want to do is further aggravate a problem and make it chronic.

Exercises can be very specific according to where the problem lies.

Good luck.