Posted by: paula | 2008/07/21


I have a back injury as a result of an accident between the L4 and S1 with muscle spasms that won' t go away even with fisio. Will additional calcium help or what should I do?


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Paula
No, calcium will not help for the muscle spasms due to injury. Gentle stretching exercise like Pilates may help and heat and cold packs may also be helpful. It may take a while for the spasms to subside and you must keep as active as possible otherwise the spasms just get worse the more immobile you are.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Healthy Bones Expert | 2008/07/28

Dear Sharon
Modern day thinking is that you keep as active as possible- even with bulging discs! I would also rather refer you to a neuro-surgeon who can do a full examination- they are also much less keen on surgery than a few years ago, unless there is severe nerve impingement that causes muscle atrophy and extreme pain.
Pilates also seems to help many people with back problems.

Reply to Healthy Bones Expert
Posted by: Sharon | 2008/07/28

I am long distance runner and have been diagnosed in January by mri scan to have nerves pinching L4 and L5, According to report from radiographer thier is minimal bulging but report from sports specialist said thier is bulging and suggested that I stop all activities and only do stretching and strengthing exercises for core muscles and only swimming. I have followed this but it seems as if my problem is worst now, still have intense spasms in buttocks and low back pain and battling to sleep at night with pains in hips and sides. Dr suggests seeing orthopaidic surgeon for possible operation. As per radiographers report does not seem that serious, is it maybe getting worst because I am not active enough should I start with a more active walking program and possibly cycling or should I rather see surgeon.

Reply to Sharon

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.