Question
Posted by: Blue | 2004/11/11

back with blues

I'm 7.5 weeks pregant and I had a scan on Monday. It turns out I'm carrying twins but I might loose one of them. I have another scan i two weeks to check what's happening. I'm worried and a bit upset. I researched and found that this happens to about 8% of pregnancies. I've had another condition (UNRELATED) that happens to about 5% of pregnanies. I also had a miscarriage (I forget the stats for that. I'm tired of having these rare things that I don't about, don't know anybody who has had them, until I have them and the only answer I get from Drs is that 'The cause is unknown! but it quite common it happens to x% of pregnancies!'[ as if this is supposed to take the pain away!.

Anyway I'm just venting. I don't know for sure that I'll loose one of my babies but my Dr didn't look optimistic. I guess waiting for the next appointment is getting to me.

Blue, I always think that regulations should not allow anyone to perform such scans without provision for counselling when the news is at all worrying. I don't think the doctors are expecting that stats will take away the pain, but hope that it'll help to recognize that, such events are not too uncommon, so a fair number of pregancies will run into such problems, and that though a precise cause may not be known, it is not your fault ( as many moms tend to blame themselves, even when they're blameless).
Sorry to hear of these problems, and hppe things will work out better than it looks right now. Waiting is never pleasant, when the news one is waiting for is so important to you.

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/11

Hi Blue,

Wow, twins!!! But yeah, I can understand your concern...

Have you tried posting this on the GynaeDoc forum, or maybe you can also think of a second opinion?

& Stop being so worried coz you know this is not gonna do the babies any good!!!

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun