Question
Posted by: Back to Basics | 2005/11/18

Back to Basics

I am 40 & have arthritis (disk degeneration) - last disk mostly affected. I want to know generally speaking what exercise I can safely do at a convetional gym. Or to put it in other words what are the big no-no's? I went to a biok. and he showed me exercises to relieve the muscle spasm (which is good) but I don't have money to go back to him at the moment. Please just give guidelines. My membership is being unused. I am 1.76 female and need to lose weight (for my back). I used to be a good swimmer but don't fancy putting myself into a cozzie right now. Can I do light weights and some cycling with the backrest? What about rowing? Stepping out? I understand that anything causing impact is out, but am frustrated because everyone has a different opinion and I got told to monitor it through pain. Plus I understand that is usually the muscles that are affected (sore) and not the underlying disk problem in most cases. Just something to do to burn off some fat, kickstart my metabolism and maybe help my back to strengthen.
Thanks and regards

Expert ImageArchive

Its quite difficult to explainand demonstrate on the forum. Sitck to exercises that does'nt cause pain.. Cycling with a back rest (recumbant) seems a safe option. remenber those abs and back strenghtening exercises. I believe rowing will cause pain. Swimming is your best option. Its only from the side of the pool untill your in the water that someone will see you - what the hell, give it a go, its your health