Question
Posted by: Candice | 2005/07/07

Back Problem

Dear Doc,

I hope I am posting this on the right forum. I need a little bit of guidance as I am at a loss.

My mother is 48 (which is still young). She has had two back operations, the last being 15 years ago. In the second op they put screws in her back (lower spine). She also has a degenerative bone disease and her spine basically crumbling.

She fainted and had a bad fall in August last year. The problem is that she is finding it extremely (if not impossible at times) to walk. Some days she will be "alright" and others she can hardly stand up straight. The pain radiates from her buttocks into her pubic area.

She had an x-ray at the time of her fall and the GP said that there is nothing wrong with the screws, they were excellently placed and are holding strong.

The thing is, she is getting tired of the pain and the inability to walk properly. She went to the government hospital and they said there was nothing they could do and sent her home with panado.

My mother resides with me and I am finding it difficult to cope with her like this; I am a single working mother of 2 children. Mentally I am washed out, I find it extremely difficult to be sympathetic with her (she has been sickly all her life).

My mother will be in a wheelchair by the time she is 55 if I don't do something about it because she won't. I cannot afford to look after my mother if she becomes immobile. Please suggest something because I am going to explode.

Thanking you in advance.

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Dear Candice
Try to get your mother to a Neurologist. There definitely seems to be some severe pressure on a nerve root. Specialist care is advisable.