Question
Posted by: Desert | 2004/01/07

Back Pain - 15 weeks

Is it normal to have back pains during pregnancy. I am 15 weeks and I am suffering terribly with lower back pain. It gets quite bad that I cannot sleep or sit for too long. Is there anything that I can do differently, to prevent this.

Please advise

Backache is very common in pregnancy. It relates to the posture during pregnancy as all the extra weight is concentrated in front. You could try maintianing a good posture (not curving your spine), wear flat shoes and rest when you can. It is safe to use Panados if you need to.

1
Posted by: Belle | 2004/01/07

Hi Desert

Back pain is normal right up to the end of your pregnancy, in fact it will probably get worse. When you sit try to sit in a chair with a backrest with a pillow behind your lower back to support it and don't slouch. When sleeping sleep on your side especially your left side as the pain seems to be less for most women on this side. Put a pillow or two between your knees and one behind your back to support you and prevent you from rolling over. From about 20 -21 weeks you should not be lying on your back for more than a minute or two at a time because there is a blood vessle behind the baby which carries oxygen tho the baby and baby is heavy enough to squash it and prevent the flow.

Reply to Belle