Question
Posted by: Janice | 2007/06/05

BACK OP

I have a friend who has been suffering from back problems. She went for a MRI last week and was told that the cushion between C5 and C6 is wasting away!!!! They told her that she would have to have an op to repair it! I think this is a bit drastic.

Her symptoms also include headaches, anxiety and pain in her pectoral muscles! (the Dr told her to have a breast reduction which i think is also extreme) Can these be linked to her C5 and C6???? I don't think that the symptoms can be linked to her spine but i don't know!

Could anyone please help me! Can the wasting away of cushions cause these problems and symptoms?

Expert ImageChiroDoc

The C5/C6 region of the neck or Cervical spine, is the most susceptible to injuries and often postural deviations. As a result we very often encounter some disc degeneration in this area. If there are serious neurological symtoms and acute pain, then I would recommend consulting a neurosurgeon for further opinion. A second opinion in your friend's case is possibly the best route to follow before any radical surgery is considered.