Question
Posted by: Ron | 2007/06/11

Back Ache

My husband has been suffering from back/stomach ache for the past three weeks now, he being a male is subborn and won't see our GP - the pains starts around midnight while he is sleeping, and continues until around 7:30 (he normally wakes up around 5:30); we don't understand the pain, he says it feels "deep" inside. We have turned our mattress around, no relief. My question is should we be concerned? He says what is the point on seeing the GP when by 9am the pain is gone. He is also under a lot of stress at the moment from work, which is what I think is causing the pain.
Please advise.

Dear Ron
This could be a referred pain from Gastritis or peptic ulceration which is most prominent at night because the acid levels are higher and your stomach is empty. Ulsanic or Zantac or a PPI like Nexium may be useful but he will need a prescription from your GP.