Question
Posted by: Rosy | 2003/01/09

Bachelors

Please tell me the logic behind a bachelors party. Is it just tradition - innocent and all? Or is it really a guy's last sexual encounter (encouraged by his friends) before he gest stropped? Is it a secret? Should tests be done afterwards?

In South Africa it has become standard tradition to get the poor groom as drunk as possible and then force the stripper on him. Over the years I have seen many men in my practise that are petrified of HIV and STI's as a result of the batchelor's party. It is possibly the silliest male gathering and has caused distress and sometimes devastating consequences.
I can see no logic behind this immature male games, but yes I suppose you are right it is "tradition".
I feel if the groom is possibly going to put his new bride at risk for any STI's or HIV, tests should be done.
Dr Elna Mcintosh

2
Posted by: Rosy | 2003/01/09

Thank you for the replies.
My fiance has avery tight group of friends, and before he and I became involved, I was also part of the extended group. Because I was no one's girlfriend/fiance at the time, I was seen as "one of the boys" and got to know a few intimate details about their lives, including their bachelors. They protect each other with their misplaced loyalty and secrecy and says its to protect the women in the group (their wives etc.) because "they are too sensitive about these matters." Now, I am in the delightful position to become one of their wives, and this now bugs me! Please sooth my worries!

Reply to Rosy
Posted by: ME | 2003/01/09

Hi Rosy,

I have also heard alot about the bachelor ending up having sex on his bachelors party. I have a friend that got married in feb last year, and she found out a few things about the bachelors party that actually made her file for a divorce. It is not worth having a bachelor party like that, because it does destroy lives. There is always doubt planted in the wife to be's mind as to what happend that night. This is just my opinion.

Reply to ME