Question
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/02/09

Baby's weight per pregnancy week

Maybe if someone can shed some light.
I know that I am the first one to say that we are all different in our build, structure and weight BUT...
On Sat we went to the specialist and everything seems to be normal- thanks for that...... our little boy is very active as well.
Now, doc said that he weighs approx 760 grams, now according to all these websites and books, he is only supposed to weigh in the region of 550 grams !!!
The specialist said nothing about this, therefore we do not think too much of it apart from him being a big baby, but is this in order????

Thanks!

This is rather large for 23 weeks. Remember that ultrasound is not always 100% accurate in terms of the weight. You are right that diabetes can cause the baby to be large. You should have a glucose test if you have not already had one.

3
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/02/09

Now this is strange, why does all the books say they need to weigh between 450- 550??
I will stop worrying about this and see where it goes. The doc did test me for sugar in my urine and it was clear. But I have also read that gestational diabetes can be the cause for big babies - I am insulin resistant and used to use glucophage which my first gynae stopped and my current gynae thought that I should have continued using it - but now too late.

Enjoy that little girl!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: DM | 2004/02/09

Hi Kippie

Doc said she weighs 650g, I even asked if this was normal. He said its nothing serious to worry about and that the little girl is very active and moving a lot. (I'm 22 wks 3 days.)

Reply to DM
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/02/09

Sorry, failed to mention that I am now 23 wks 3 days.
DM how much does your little girl weigh?

Reply to Kippie