Question
Posted by: Blondie | 2004/11/15

Baby's weight

Hi guys

While pregnant, how do they determine the weight of the baby, only by scan or touching of the tummy, why i ask is because I only go to a GP.

Blondie

The growth of the baby can be assessed by examining the tummy, but not the actual weight, though a rough estimate can be made.

3
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/11/15

My gynae also did as the above ladies have mentioned but it also depends on how the baby lies and how big the baby is for an 'accurate' weighing.
My baby turned transverse and it was thus difficult to measure properly but my gynae said approx 3.9kg, when he was born 3 days later he was 4.93 kg!!!
Obviously no new born clothes were suitable :-)

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Jacqui | 2004/11/15

My Gynae can tell by either doing a scan or by feeling how big the baby is and give me an approximate weight.

I am now 31 weeks and last week, at the 30 weeks check up, he said that baby weighs around 1.6kg's (obviously this is an approximate weight) but he did it by feeling the size of her head and her body. He is old and has been doing it for years so I am sure he knows what he's talking about given all the expereince he has behind him. He was spot on when he felt my belly for the weight of my son at my 37 week check up and I ended up have him via emergengy c-section the next day and the weight was right - 2.76 (he said it was about 2.7!)

So if the person doing the scan or the belly feeling has the right expereince, they can tell the baby's weight correctly give or take a few grams.

Reply to Jacqui
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/15

They determine it by doing a scan. The gynae measures the head circumference, the lenght of the femur (big bone in the leg) and the circumference of the abdomen. They then approximate the weight of the baby. It isn't 100% accurate, but my gynae was less than 100g off with the weight (baby was about 80g heavier than gynea thought).

Reply to Purple