Question
Posted by: Gina | 2007/05/04

Baby tummy problems

I have an 11month old daughter with a history of constipation which is now resolved with plenty fibre and fluid. However, she is bloated and passes a lot of wind especially at night - I feel she must be having some tummy cramps as well. This keeps her and me up for most of the night every night. She has also had skin reactions to some medications (penicillin and the generic version of Ponstan) - a fine rash with the penicillin, and immediate bright red reaction around the mouth and wherever a drop touches the skin with Ponstel - this has also happened with one type of Purity meal (Beef) but not with all meat/beef meals. Should I start with one type of solid from scratch again to determine if it is a particular food that causes the bloating, cramps and flatulence? Paediatrician says she's healthy, I should cut out a day sleep and keep her on laxatives (I initially gave laxatives but stopped when she started refusing to take them and also her bowel movements became regular and normal) and I find this unhelpful. I feel worried about her bowel and these skin reactions, and also I am fairly desperate now due to very,very little sleep. There is no history of any allergy whatsoever in either of our families, and my son has also never had this type of thing. Would be very grateful for any help with this! Thank you. Gina

Dear Gina
I can understand that you must be feeling very tired if you never get enough sleep. It is possible that the fibre is causing the bloating and cramps. This is an unfortunate side-effect of a high-fibre diet which also often affects adults. Now that her constipation is better, you can perhaps reduce the amount of fibre she eats to a level that still promotes bowel function, but does not give her wind and cramps. I would also take her to another Paediatrician for a second opinion and specifically mention her allergic reactions to medications and the Purity beef meal, then ask if she is old enough for allergy testing, because it is very possible that some of her symptoms may be due to an allergic reaction to a food or foods. Just because no one else in the family is allergic does not preclude your daughter from being sensitive or allergic. I would cut out all foods that cause reactions (keep a little food diary for her noting down what she eats and how she reacts). Start off with rice porridge and home-cooked baby meals (boiled vegies and meats that you puree and fruits like mashed banana and grated apple) and then gradually introduce other foods, noting her reaction in each case.
I sincerely hope that your lassie settles down and that you manage to get more sleep.