Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2005/12/05

Baby Related

I wondered if you could suggest some healthy fingerfoods for my 6 month old (he has 2 bottom teeth) as Im not too sure what they are allowed at this age.

Dear Lucy
At the age of 6 months babies are just supposed to be getting introduced to solids (starting with infant porridge, e.g. rice porridge, etc). If your baby is already eating finger foods you may have starting the solid food process rather early. At the moment stick to Boudoir biscuits or plain rusks. Fruit such as apples and pears need to be washed, peeled and pureed at 6 months - it is still to early to give such a small child pieces of fruit which could cause choking. Bananas should be mashed. Wait awhile before you give your son finger foods that are difficult to handle. Stick to pureed, mashed fruits and vegetables, yoghurts and porridges right now. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on food intake of infants, and small children to get an idea of what and how much they should be eating.

1
Posted by: Lucy | 2005/12/07

Dear Dietdoc
Thankyou for the advice, much appreciated. I have decided to do just that...wait.
Thanks again

Reply to Lucy