Question
Posted by: Robyn | 2007/03/05

BABY NOT EAT MUCH OR DRINK MUCH MILK

My 14 month baby is not eating much at all for months now. He has his formula S26 and is not losing weight. He is healthy. Will the formula provide all the nutrition required? He may eat a few grapes or half a biscuit daily. Sometimes a quarter piece of toast for breakfast. He will not eat cereal now. He did eat cereal a few months ago and he loved it. He seems to change taste preferences often. I never know what to feed him. All day i offer different foods. Is it because in Durban it's been very humid and hot? The teething is on and off. He has 8 teeth. He's a very happy baby. He poo's ±1 per day. I'm afraid mainly milk will prevent his colon from developing properly.

Dear Robyn
By the age of 14 months most babies should be eating a nice variety of foods (soft fruits, pureed vegetables, yoghurt, porridge, etc). The problem is that your lad probably obtains all the nutrients he needs from the formula and therefore has no appetite for anything else. You need to gradually reduce how much formula you are giving him to about 600 ml per day and also change over the second stage formula or diluted cow's milk. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' to see what and how much your lad should be eating. Once his appetite is no longer fully satisfied by the formula he should start eating more solid foods. Keep in mind that small children have small tummies and need to eat small meals often. Offer a new food in a very small quantity - one teaspoon, or one slice at a time. If the child rejects the food, then leave that specific food and try again a month later.