Question
Posted by: Nita | 2004/01/21

Baby movements

Hi doc
I am 7 months pregnant. My gynae says that my baby should be moving at least 10 times a day.
If my baby doesn't have at least 10 movements a day, could this indicate that there is something wrong?
Although I do have more than 10 movements a day, my baby doesn't kick me as such and doesn't push back when I press my tummy.
Should I be concerned?

As long as you are having more than 10 movements a day, that is fine. They do not have to be big kicks and the baby does not have to respond to your pressing on your tummy.

3
Posted by: Velly | 2004/01/22

I also think that 10 times a day includes the night as well! So maybe you dont feel the baby moving cause you are asleep!

I think if he's moving then it's fine!

Reply to Velly
Posted by: Belle | 2004/01/21

Remember that you are busy during the day and by this stage you are getting used to the movement so you probably dont even notice when baby moves. My gynae said that once a day I must lie down on my side for 20 minutes. During this time I must feel tha baby move. If it doesn't move then have something sweet and try again, if it still does not move then contact your gynae. Space is also getting limited so their movements become less from now on.

Reply to Belle
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/21

I would say no. I had a lot of movements for a while and then softer movements less frequently. My baby is just getting bigger and has less room to move in.

Some books say you should count 10 movements an hour! My baby certainly doesn't do that! He is growing well and I would say you need not worry unless you can't feel him at all during the day.

If you don't feel any movement, alert your doctor. But small movements is still fine.

Reply to Kate