Question
Posted by: Dolly | 2004/11/11

baby movement

please advise - i am 14 weeks pregnant (my first one) and listened to my baby's heartbeat on tuesday. scheduled to go for a scan on tuesday next week. i am so excited!!

but also a bit worried - my friend says she felt her baby move at around 12 weeks. try as i might, i still cant feel my little one. doc said the heartbeat is strong and regular and i dont have anything to worry about. but why isnt my baby moving? is he/she too small? or maybe not active enough?

Fetal movements usually start to be felt from 16-20 weeks .

5
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/11/11

With my first child I only felt it around 20 weeks and with my 3rd I defintely felt him at 14 weeks. On and off. One day it will be very strong and then no feeling for a day or two and then activity again. Only from around 22 weeks did I start to feel him every day.

Enjoy as this is very exciting!!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Francis | 2004/11/11

I think your friend is confused regarding a 12 week movement. Your baby is still about 6 - 7mm and there are really no way you can feel your baby with all the fluid around you. The reason why you don't feel anything yet, cause your baby is still to small and that the fluid around your baby keeps it in a water"bubble". As soon as your baby's bones get harder and he is growing bigger you will first start feeling little bubbles and not kicks and real movements. The real movements only start from 18 - 22 weeks and then the strong kicks starts from 23 - 26 weeks.

I am pregnant with my second baby so I knew what to expect and felt the first bubble movement on 16 weeks and then started feeling day to day movement round about 18 - 19 weeks. I am now 25 weeks and there are still days that I just feel bubbles and then kicks at night. It also depends on where your placenta is. (if it is infront of the baby (belly) then you won't feel strong kicks untill your baby is really big enough.

Your weight etc also plays a big roll.

In other words, don't panic wait until you are about 20 weeks and then start to stay still for an hour or so at night and concentrate then you would probably feel something.

Reply to Francis
Posted by: Blue | 2004/11/11

With my first I felt slight movement around 18 weesk but it was so faint I could really be sure. My friendfelt her first movement at 23 weeks and everything is fine. Hang in there.

Reply to Blue
Posted by: Tilli | 2004/11/11

My gynae said only around 20 weeks - I am 18 weeks with my first and have felt nothing yet! Don't expect it until around 20 weeks otherwise you will go dilly! Best way to keep in "touch" with your little one between scans is to go to one of those weekly development sites and keep track of how it is developing!

Reply to Tilli
Posted by: Jelly | 2004/11/11

You wont feel movement untill approx the 20th week. Relax.

I'm pregnant with my second child and am only really starting to feel anything now - and I'm 22 weeks.

If your friend said she felt movement (which really is doubtful) then fantastic for her - but dont stress yourself about it.

Reply to Jelly