Question
Posted by: Nessa | 2005/12/08

Baby in distress???

Hi doc I am currently on the preggie chatline, but would like some advise from you, I am now 20 weeks pregnant and I am worried about a green discharge, it is not smelly or anything but I heard that it may be that the baby is in distress? Like a one of the ladies on the preggie chatline had a friend who also had the green discharge and the baby had his umbilical cord around his neck, is it really something to be worried about right now. Thank you!!

I think you may be confusing this with the case where the membranes rupture and there is meconium in the liquor (the baby has dirtied itself in the womb), which may appear green. In most cases a yellow or green discharge indicates a vaginal infection.

2
Posted by: kk | 2005/12/08

hi

i am 8 weeks preg and still getting a brownish / yellowish discharge , it does not smell . but i have been getting it from the time i found out i was preg .

please help me !!!!!!!!!!

kk

Reply to kk
Posted by: Different nic | 2005/12/08

I had a yellow green discharge. It only appeared on the loo paper two or three times when I wiped after a wee. Anyway, it also wasnt smelly or anything. One of the girls on the chatline also mentioned the baby in distress thing to me so I worried and went to the gynae. He said that it is UTTER RUBBISH that a yellow green discharge indicates the baby is in distress. He said that strange coloured discharge is quite common and said that if it continues for longer than four days then it is probably an infection and should be treated. He gave me something for a mild infection anyway, even though the discharge had already disappeared by the time I went to see him.

Please dont panic. If it has not gone in the next three days - go see your gynae. By the way, my gynae said, a watery gush that is yellow green could indicate leaking amniotic fluid and a baby that could be in distress - not a discharge.

Hope this helps

Reply to Different nic